Frequently Asked Questions
How often do you recommend a dental cleaning?
- We recommend our patients get a routine dental cleaning two times per year, but every person is different and the re-care frequency can vary from 3, 4, or 6 months.
How often do I need dental x-rays?
- We recommend at least two times per year to evaluate for caries in-between the teeth.
Is there a lot of radiation when I get x-rays in the office?
- Our office is equipped with the most modern, efficient imaging capabilities available today. In addition, our team members have all been trained and licensed in dental radiography and every precaution possible is taken to minimize radiation exposure.
What toothpaste, floss and rinse do you recommend?
- For Mouthwash we recommend Listerine with no alcohol- Two times daily it has four essential oils that no other mouthwash has, given added benefits of more than just halitosis (bad breath) and gingivitis too!
- Toothpaste we recommend Colgate total. It prevents cavities but also aids with prevention of gingivitis with the active ingredient being Triclosan.
- Oral B Glide is our go-to floss for patients with tight contacts between the teeth.
- Johnson & Johnson Reach threaded floss is the recommendation for patients that have spaces between their teeth.
Do you screen for oral cancer?
- We visually screen for oral cancer at every check up. We also offer state-of the-art oral cancer screening (Vizalite) which can detect oral cancer before it is visible to the naked eye. You may be a candidate for a Vizilite screening if you have high risk factors for oral cancer including family history of cancer or alcohol or tobacco use. Seeing your dentist regularly is an important tool in the early detection of oral cancer.
What is dental probing?
- Dental probing is an evaluation of gingival and periodontal health that measures the space between the gum and the base of the tooth. Readings with a smaller number 1,2 & 3’s mean the tissue is tighter, healthy and pink.
What is an oral cancer screening?
- An oral cancer screening is an evaluation of the soft and hard tissues in the oral cavity to check for any abnormalities that may lead to a biopsy of a specific area.
I do not like my smile. How can Dr.Vocaturo improve it?
- There is no one way to answer this question. We can tell you at your initial consultation with Dr.Vocaturo, he will go over all of your concerns and dislikes and make recommendations based upon your individual circumstances.
- Dr.Vocaturo and his team will be sure to explain all of your options and the pros and cons of each service/procedure.
- Our office specializes in cosmetic dentistry including crowns, bridges, veneers, implants and teeth whitening. Make your appointment today to find out which option is the best fit for you.
Will my insurance cover cosmetic dental treatments?
- Every insurance plan is different, but partial coverage may be available for certain cosmetic procedures. Our friendly insurance coordinator will be more than happy to go over all of the information with you prior to the start of any treatment.
What would I do if I have a dental emergency?
- Here at NJ Smile Center, we are happy to help you in anyway we can.
- Whether you are an existing or new patient, our patient coordinator will be able to accommodate a same-day or next-day appointment.
- You can also send a photo of your dental emergency to our Dental Mobile App found on Google play or the Apple Store. The photo will go directly to our service and we will be able to accommodate you from there.
What if I need to reschedule/cancel an appointment?
- We ask you kindly provide at least 48 hours notice for any appointment that needs to be rescheduled. Appointments cancelled in less than 24 hours may be subject to a cancellation fee.